Skip to main content

THE ROOMMATE EFFECT



One of the most important things that can shape your college experience is your roommate. Provided you choose to have one, which I strongly suggest because it can get lonely all by yourself so far away but not everyone is lucky enough to have a compatible roommate. It’s almost like you’re a married couple, you eat together, decide on the décor of the room together, argue about who created the mess and spend a lot of time together. And no one wants to go through the pain of a divorce which equals the roommate contract which is just as tedious to alter.

Hence, it is very important to have a good roommate. While the random roommate thing may seem like a good idea, it ends up as a disaster a lot of times. I chose someone I talked to over social media and we decided to room together. And I’m glad to say that we are the best roommates, we may not be the best of friends but we are amazing roommates. She’s not as clean but I love cleaning and she provides food and a good ear, we couldn’t be more compatible.

Therefore, when you’ve chosen what college you want to go to, it is best to go on the social networking sites and see the people who’ll be joining you. Try to introduce yourself and your preferences so you can get someone who shares the same interests. It is important to talk to as many people as you can so you can choose your perfect fit. If you can hold a conversation for a long time, you’ll definitely be great friends but not necessarily good roommates. Try to discuss your social lives, what time you usually go to bed, how clean they are, how loud. Because my roommate and I don’t have all the same interests but that is the least important thing, we have matching lifestyles.

Furthermore, it is important to not wait till the last minute before college to find a roommate and start talking to people, because you’ll find that you like them but by them they’ll already be hitched and it’ll be too late. Also, never promise more than one person that you’ll room with them and bail on the others; you don’t want enemies before college has even begun.

You and your roommate will be more intimate than any of your other friends so pick wisely and if you are dissatisfied later in the semester, not to worry, you can always talk to your RA about your situation and sort it out. However, prevention is better than cure, pick wisely and you’ll have a best friend forever.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BREAKING THE ICE

If you end up in the freezing hell of Boston or another city like it, much like me, please be prepared and don’t be like me. The first day back after winter break is never good, you’re homesick, you miss your domestic help and jet lag is at its peak so being unprepared is just going to make the situation a million times worse (no exaggeration). My first day back, I didn’t have snow boots so I slipped and fell in the ice and to make things worse, I had to walk super slowly to avoid falling again which led to me almost being hit by the train. So please, please buy snow boots in advance. I was also dressed very inappropriately for the weather so unlike me, remember to carry a big coat for when you get off the flight and do not rely on the temperature of the airport. Furthermore, if your hands are like mine and super sensitive to the cold, make gloves your best friends. Don’t be miserly when it comes to spending on gloves and get ones that are not only warm but also allow you to typ

SURVIVING FRESHMAN YEAR

I would be lying if I said this year has been easy. From freshman 15 to late night studying for exams that greatly deflate grades to sleepless nights and unnecessary drama, it’s been an eventful year. I would also be lying if I said I had no regrets. It’s upsetting but I actually have quite a few. I regret going out and partying when I should instead be studying; not visiting the gym as often as I’d like and eating trash food and not speaking up in class as much as I should.  Most of these things I practiced in my freshman year, however, and I believe I’ve come a long way since then. I realized the main reason I’m at college and my entire focus shifted. I started eating better, working out more often, studying more, communicating more and not going out as much. As time progressed, I also learnt how to handle money better and make wiser decisions. Of course my semester wasn’t perfect, I could have handled many things better but for me some progress is better than none. Some ta