Skip to main content

MONEY FLIES


Studying abroad can be a drastic change from the comforts of home. It can seem like a big scary world and sometimes it can be very challenging. Spending money wisely is one of the many challenges one faces at university.

While we all wish we were trust fund babies with unlimited funds, it unfortunately doesn’t work that way. Not only does our tuition fee cost a fortune, our parents have to provide us with an additional allowance as well and staying within budget can be a real challenge.

One of the best ways to avoid overspending is to stay away from distractions. America runs on marketing and would always entice you into buying things you would never use, ever. So put away that micro-luggage scooter. Nobody uses it, trust me.

Another great way to save money is to track your money. Apps like “Cleo” help you keep track of your spending and allow you to manage your budget wisely. It is very user-friendly and very handy. I recommend this app to anyone who has trouble managing money.

Moreover, it is important to separate wants from needs. Like I know you really want that Tory Burch bag, but do you really need a fifth bag? Ask yourself whether you can live without it. If you can, you have your answer. This doesn’t mean you can’t ever fulfill your wants. Save some money every week and buy the end of the month, treat yourself. No greater pleasure than money well-spent.

Textbooks too can be very expensive. A smart way is to buy from your seniors. They would have textbooks they no longer use and at cheaper prices; buy those. Or use e-textbooks. They can, however, be a strain on the eyes, so instead look for cheaper options online. Sites like “Chegg.com” and “Amazon” usually have cheaper options available. Go for the used ones.

I know college can be daunting, I felt the same way. But time makes everything better. Don’t put too much pressure on yourself, there are so many things you cannot control. Money, however, is one thing you can. So stay budgeted and let it be the least of your worries. It will be one step towards a better and more joyful college experience.

Comments

  1. Very well written Rashi !! Will be waiting for next write up !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice Rashi. I believe anyone who understands your point of view shall surely be happy and contended wherever he or she goes.

    I wish you all the success in your future endeavours. God Bless!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Remember Rashi best things in life are either free or cheap. Air, water, basic food and good advice. Simplify, unclutter life to enjoy it, minimise unnecessary possessions and you will realise that money walks along with us and does not fly.
    Shalabh

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

THE ROOMMATE EFFECT

One of the most important things that can shape your college experience is your roommate. Provided you choose to have one, which I strongly suggest because it can get lonely all by yourself so far away but not everyone is lucky enough to have a compatible roommate. It’s almost like you’re a married couple, you eat together, decide on the décor of the room together, argue about who created the mess and spend a lot of time together. And no one wants to go through the pain of a divorce which equals the roommate contract which is just as tedious to alter. Hence, it is very important to have a good roommate. While the random roommate thing may seem like a good idea, it ends up as a disaster a lot of times. I chose someone I talked to over social media and we decided to room together. And I’m glad to say that we are the best roommates, we may not be the best of friends but we are amazing roommates. She’s not as clean but I love cleaning and she provides food and a good ear, we cou

BREAKING THE ICE

If you end up in the freezing hell of Boston or another city like it, much like me, please be prepared and don’t be like me. The first day back after winter break is never good, you’re homesick, you miss your domestic help and jet lag is at its peak so being unprepared is just going to make the situation a million times worse (no exaggeration). My first day back, I didn’t have snow boots so I slipped and fell in the ice and to make things worse, I had to walk super slowly to avoid falling again which led to me almost being hit by the train. So please, please buy snow boots in advance. I was also dressed very inappropriately for the weather so unlike me, remember to carry a big coat for when you get off the flight and do not rely on the temperature of the airport. Furthermore, if your hands are like mine and super sensitive to the cold, make gloves your best friends. Don’t be miserly when it comes to spending on gloves and get ones that are not only warm but also allow you to typ

SURVIVING FRESHMAN YEAR

I would be lying if I said this year has been easy. From freshman 15 to late night studying for exams that greatly deflate grades to sleepless nights and unnecessary drama, it’s been an eventful year. I would also be lying if I said I had no regrets. It’s upsetting but I actually have quite a few. I regret going out and partying when I should instead be studying; not visiting the gym as often as I’d like and eating trash food and not speaking up in class as much as I should.  Most of these things I practiced in my freshman year, however, and I believe I’ve come a long way since then. I realized the main reason I’m at college and my entire focus shifted. I started eating better, working out more often, studying more, communicating more and not going out as much. As time progressed, I also learnt how to handle money better and make wiser decisions. Of course my semester wasn’t perfect, I could have handled many things better but for me some progress is better than none. Some ta